My sister once mentioned people often complain about legal fees being too expensive. Apparently lawyers in Australia are able to bill their clients by the 6-minutely block, even if it involves a task like reading an email you have sent them, or signing a piece of paper etc. She also mentioned it seems to have slipped from people's mind that plumbing fees can be as equally ripping-off too! I completely agree! Or maybe just in our minds we never found a plumber's (or any tradesperson's job in general) salary to be extragavant due to our upbringing in Malaysia. Of course I am not saying that they shouldn't deserve that much. I have been smacked in the face by surprise with a $453 plumbing bill to fix a leaky tap and two faulty toilets. $66 call out fee + $33 per 15 minutes (+ equipment/spare parts). Mr. Plumber was over for 1.5 hours, you can do the math. All I know now is that they can earn up an average of $200/hour. That's as equally handsome as the salary of a white collar profession!
A couple weeks ago I paid a gardener $200 to mow a flat piece of lawn. It is a fairly big block of land, but still. I suppose in Australia, it is going to cost a bundle as long as it is going to involve some sort of labour work. But I suppose all tradesmen in Australia has a service license fee to maintain too. Therefore most Australians, including myself, tend to DIY (Do-It-Yourself) when it comes to home repairs. However I tend I fix things till they wreck and I'll have to end up summoning a professional. I suppose in my case, it will be worth the paying the bill. It's probably time to think about home insurance that covers home repairs and the general. Now how much will that cost?
No comments:
Post a Comment