ENTP - "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population. |
To describe this more accurately (or in a non-typecasting way), my Myer-Brigg's type indicator is inclining towards higher percentages of E, N, T and P. The first time I did it, I have been tested an ESTP, and the next couple times were ENFP. The last few times I have always been tested ENTP.. I suppose I may conclude this is my type?
This naturally led me to question the accuracy of the Myer-Briggs system. Before I get into that, I will let Wikipedia do all the explaining about the definition of the Myer-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), click here to read about it if you wish.
In short, there are 4 dichotomies or indicator:
1. Extraverted or Intraverted
2. Sensing or iNtuition
3. Thinker or Feeler
4. Judging or Perceiving
I will draw out the benefits and disadvantages of the system to wrap my perspective of it all in a nutshell.
Advantage:
- By understanding the Myer-Briggs system and the way you can classify one's psychological preferences based on the 4 dichotomies (indicators), it can help one to understand another individual's behaviour. Myer-Briggs system has appeared to simplify our seemingly complex psychological preference to only 16 different personality types, each one corresponding to a particular distinctive behaviour.
For example, a Feeler can somewhat milk the benefits of this "reference tool" to better understand that a Thinker's cold remark should not be taken too personally as in fact the Thinker is simply expressing his or her thoughts based on logical facts oblivious about the way it may make others feel. A Sensing individual (one that it often into the minor details of a situation) can learn to understand and not get frustrated over an Intuitive individual's (one that is into the bigger picture) lack of interest over the smaller details but not forget about the benefit of an Intuitive individual's farsighted vision when making a decision. An Intuitive individual can also learn to come to terms with a Sensing's individual fancy for details that will often be overlooked by an Intuitive individual, which may also be beneficial.
Disadvantage:
- Typecasting - in another word, stereotyping, implies that an individual being classified as a particular personality type. The biggest misconception is to identify a particular individual as a particular personality type, and to only consider the individual as of that type.
You will be very surprised. Some major companies have actually been known to take this system quite seriously in their hiring process. The Myer-Brigg system does lay out some recommended/suitable jobs that are commonly undertaken for each of the personality types. However, this does not mean that a company should completely not hire a or hire a particular individual based on the suitability of their Myer-Brigg personality type for the job.
I suppose it should be emphasized that each of the 4 dichotomies laid out by the Myer-Brigg's system is measured in percentages. For example, you could be 30% Intravertered, and 70% Extraverted. Or sometimes, you could be borderline 50-50. I supposed maybe that explains the slight variation in results I have received for the Myer-Brigg's personality test.
I could be bordering a Feeler or a Thinker at times. And sometimes I could become a Sensing individual as opposed to an Intuitive one, it all depends on the situation and circumstances that we are in. It is possible for an individual to express a combination of personality types. One should not fall into the dangers of typecasting.
According to Myer-Brigg's description, an Extraverted individual prefers to start things rather than end it or get the job done. Let's see how well this applies to me attempting to maintain this blog.. I am apparently highly Extraverted :P but don't worry, an Extraverted individual can also be very energetic and likes to reveal my thoughts. Thus a blog will be a suitable outlet. I will try my best not to disappoint. :) I can be a combination of types as the discussion has been all about.
So what is your type? Apart from the link above, here are some recommended tests online that you can also take if you are doubtful of the results from the first test:
http://www.kisa.ca/personality/
http://www.ithaca.edu/mathcs/LearnStyle/MyersBriggsTest.shtml
Or simply do a search on Google.
Feel free to comment and share your views about it.
3 comments:
I took the MBTI test a year ago too! I don't really like it much because the questions were rated with a series of numbers, which I felt that in all honesty, how I circled from 1-6 depended on how i felt that day. How much of a difference it makes - I haven't tested it.
In any case, I took the test for a program and came out ENTP too! Kudos.
Agreed! MBTI seems like more of a 'dynamic' personality test, it can change accordingly to your mood. I guess it will tend to change more if you have borderline percentage for a particular dichotomy. Or perhaps the system is quite accurate BUT the challenge is to create a test to try to frame one's personality as accurately possible? For instance, circling from 1-6 may not quite be the best way of doing it.
:) Anyway. That's pretty cool, you're an ENTP too. Just thought I'd share my thoughts with you: I actually thought you would be inclining a J for your last dichotomy i.e. ENTJ. You were quite structured/organized from when I last went to school with you. Plus, you're strict vegetarian too. (alright, alright..I'm weird ok! I have this recent obsession of trying to frame people that I know :P)
well....to be honest my N, T and P scored close to the midpoint - which to me seems to say that either I have both qualities (yah right) and have slightly more tendencies towards the N,T,P, OR that I was right about the scoring of 1-6 being dependent on my mood that day (which was borderline nonchalant about this whole thing, i think). Anyway, only my E scored crazy high (or crazy close) towards one end of the spectrum.
The MBTI is most-def one of the more accurate (and most meticulous) of the "personality tests" out there. And I think the explanations for each trait is pretty cool. When you get a chance with your company (usually HR makes you take it for team placements), take it officially. Columbia paid for mine because I did it for a program.
there is always that risk of typecasting, unfortunately, once you take the test. lol!
Post a Comment